Thursday, August 6, 2009

IDEA Design awards 2009..!!! my Oscars..


As you probably already know that I am an avid fan of product design. I get blown off by new design ideas for the simplest things. We take it for granted that somethings that we use are the best they can be.

And some geek comes ahead and does something so simple that its simplicity just blows us off.


The annual design awards by IDEA are my Oscars. They give me the little kick I need once in a while. I religiously look into every new design and just exclaim inside offering my kudos to the designer.

The new thing that blew me off was the Tikk-Tekk.


Was working on redesigning the stock room layout this week. I had to carry this 25 foot tape measure everywhere, measuring the racks, floor and all that crap. The tape measure is the most physical sort of measurement. You have a piece of tape with physical measurements marked on it

and then you place it along the dimension you want to measure and note down the corresponding measurement on the tape. Age old… and I thought this was the only way to take measurements.

And this morning I came across the Tikk-Tekk.


Tikk-Tekk Rainbow measuring device

Bronze Award
Category: Student Designs
Design: Guopeng Liang and Yun Li, Tongji University (China); Samsung Design Membership China (China)

Tikk-Tekk Rainbow is a low-cost universal measuring tool for the visually impaired that uses visual, tactile, and auditory feedback. A rubber plastic ring slips over each index finger. As the measuring string unwinds, the device makes an audible "tikk" sound at every centimeter and a "tekk" sound at every five centimeters. Printed digits and embossed Braille numbers also provide measurement results.

Woww..!! this is where we ought to be going. Move away from age old design and make things simpler to use with the aid of technology. Its also designed with Braille.

The best thing about it was that it was designed by a student..!!!

Look at this cool promo of the Tikk –Tekk. The mechanism behind how it operates is cool..

I thought that it was the coolest design until I saw the floater ladle. How many times I have sunk my ladles in a big bowl, only to dip my fingers in to pick the ladle up and wash it.

Hats off…to Seongyong Lee for his concept. Cant help but bow to his creativity.
This ladle cant sink..!!!


Look at this cool tape measure. Once you look at this, you cant stop thinking… “I should have thought of this.. Its so simple..”

O,EZ tape measure

Bronze Award
Category: Student Designs
Design: Jaewon Choi, Youngdo Choi, Sanghoon Lee, Jieun Myung, Samsung Art & Design Institute (South Korea)

Not just a tape measure, the O,EZ also includes a built-in pencil. When taking measurements, the retractable lead tip can accurately mark the location, leaving your hands free and avoiding the need to scramble for a pen. The hook at its center can also be secured and used like a compass to draw a large circle on a wall or surface.


This LightLane design is supercool…

A device for the bicycle rider to display its own safety lines behind the rider..

http://www.lightlanebike.com/prototpye_video.html



To look into all the winning designs by students.. peek here..

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/07/0729_IDEA_awards_students/3.htm

No comments: